On Friday, Mayor John Cooper and Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee CEO Hal Cato announced a partnership to support local small businesses throughout Nashville’s neighborhoods, and issued a call to action for Nashvillians to eat and shop local during the holiday season. The announcement came a day before Small Business Saturday, a national retail holiday to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for their communities.
To officially kick off the #ShopSmallNashville social media campaign, Mayor Cooper visited some local business owners this week in North Nashville and Green Hills to recognize their valuable contributions to neighborhoods, thank them for their efforts and investment, and to purchase gifts for friends and loved ones. The businesses included Nashville Toys & Books, Levy’s, Woodcuts Gallery and Framing, and The Trenches Gallery.
“Nashville’s small business community embodies our city’s spirit of entrepreneurship and plays an essential role creating jobs and shaping a Nashville that works for every neighborhood,” said Mayor John Cooper. “As folks begin shopping this holiday season, I’d encourage all Nashvillians to visit one of our incredible local shops to find something unique and meaningful for their friends and loved ones. When you shop local, take a photo and post it with the hashtag #ShopSmallNashville—and I’ll do the same.”
Mayor Cooper joined Cato at Woodcuts Gallery and Framing located at 1613 Jefferson Street to meet with owner Nate Harris and thank him for his more than 35 years of business in historic North Nashville. They both encouraged residents to support Nashville’s small businesses and to show their support via social media by using the hashtag #ShopSmallNashville.
Participating local businesses who have joined the Shop Small Nashville initiative have pledged to donate 10% of their sales to the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee. The CFMT will then donate those proceeds to five non-profits: Keva, Inc; East Nashville Cooperative Ministries; The Branch Nashville; Bellevue Community Food Bank; and The Heimerdinger Foundation.
“Our neighborhoods make up the fabric of our city, and Nashville is blessed with so many great local businesses and nonprofits that help make each neighborhood unique,” said Hal Cato, CEO of the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee. “We hope Nashvillians will join us in supporting Small Business Nashville as our community comes together to celebrate this season of light and generosity.”
“We know that small business owners need our support now more than ever,” said LaTanya Channel, Mayor Cooper’s director of Economic Growth and Small Business Development. “As a city, lifting up small business owners through purchases, word of mouth, and providing the necessary tools to thrive helps our economy and creates more jobs.”
Local small businesses who have joined the Shop Small Nashville initiativeinclude:
• Woodcuts Gallery & Framing – 1613 Jefferson St., Nashville, Tenn. 37208
• The Trenches Gallery – 906 Buchanan St., Nashville, Tenn. 37208
• Maple Built – 1003 Buchanan St., Nashville, Tenn. 37208
• Fox’s Donut Den – 3900 Hillsboro Pike #2, Nashville, Tenn. 37215
• Nashville Toys & Books – 2002 Richard Jones Rd., Nashville, Tenn. 37215
• Levy’s – 3900 Hillsboro Pike #36, Nashville, Tenn. 37215
• Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea – 6900 Lenox Village Dr. Suite 8, Nashville, Tenn. 37211
• Crown Love Beauty Supply – 887 Bell Rd., Antioch, Tenn. 37013
• Perfectly Cordial – <www.perfectlycordial.com>
• Perla Salas Beauty Salon – 435 Cotton Ln., Nashville, Tenn. 37211
• Perlita’s Fashions – 433 Cotton Ln., Nashville, Tenn. 37211
• Bandwagon Music and Repair – 7639 Hwy 70 S., Nashville, Tenn. 37221
• Loveless Café – 8400 Tenn.-100, Nashville, Tenn. 37221
• The Inka Trailer – <www.theinkatrailer.com>
• Pearl Diver – 1008 Gallatin Ave., Nashville, Tenn. 37206
• Love & Exile Wines – 715 Main S. A, Nashville, Tenn. 37206
• Nashville Blanket Project – 1006 Fatherland St. Suite 103, Nashville, Tenn. 37206
• Kernels Nashville Popcorn – 2501 Gallatin Ave. B, Nashville, Tenn. 37206
• Baxter Bailey & Company – 1004 Fatherland St. #101, Nashville, Tenn. 37206
• Clifton + Leopold – <cliftonandleopold.com>
More participants are expected as the holiday season continues.